Housing Agency of Jamaica (HAJ) is a land and housing development company that provides shelter solutions for Jamaicans islandwide. Wholly owned by the local government, HAJ falls under the umbrella of the Ministry of Transport, Works and Housing, and its core services include providing shelter solutions on the open market, mortgage servicing and upgrading informal settlements.
The agency is headed by a managing director while governed by a board of directors, and was formed in 1998 through the merger of three entities; namely Caribbean Housing Finance Corporation Limited (CHFC), National Housing Corporation Limited (NHC) and Operation Pride.
Goals & Objectives
- To provide affordable housing solutions.
- To regularise and upgrade select informal settlements through social intervention and infrastructural development.
- To work closely with all partners, i.e. Community Based Organisations (C.B.O.), and other stakeholders and interest groups to encourage and foster community-based development and empowerment.
- To ensure customer compliance with required payments so as to facilitate financial sustainability.
- To adhere to the standards as stipulated by NEPA and other regulatory agencies during development.
- To provide security of tenure by ensuring provision of property titles to purchasers.
“Our mission is to contribute to the improved quality of life of all Jamaicans through social transformation by facilitating and providing quality, affordable shelter solutions with security of tenure.”
This will be accomplished by:
“A committed, caring, dedicated and competent team with excellence, innovation, the use of appropriate technology and through strategic partnerships with communities and other stakeholders”
Our Services to You
For the following services which we consider important to you, we will strive to adhere to the turnaround times (in business days) as set out below. In this regard, you will receive:
- Confirmation of allocation of your chosen housing solution within 10 days of our receipt of full deposit.
- Possession of your unit within fifteen days of issue of Practical Completion Certificate and receipt of full payment.
Mortgage documentation (status letter, ownership letter) within three days of request.